Seiten

Montag, 1. Juli 2013

A huge Commissioned Quilt

Look what I am doing. This absolutely is not my style. But it is a commission quilt. And I will get good money for it. :-)


A few weeks ago a production designer contacted me. He was looking for a quilt to borrow for a commercial. He came by and looked at my quilts and soon found one . I told him the price I would want to have if I gave it away for some days (I worked in the movie industry for ten years and I now how people treat things while shooting). So the price might have been rather high but I didn´t want to risk anything.


The deal didn´t work out in the end, because my quilt was too white for the camera, but the production designer told me that they soon are going to film a cinema movie and that they need a special quilt for that. I told him, that I would be interested in making it, if he brought the fabric and if the price is right.
I absolutely didn´t want to work for not enough money, so again I told him my price and there as no discussion at all.
When I still worked for the movies in the costume departement, it was always said, "we don´t have enough money", but everybody knew, they had. And here I see it again, there is enough. Very sad that they rather spent it on the props then on the people working there. (I still remember exhausting days, when I worked 16 hours and didn´t get paid any extra hours.)
This is one reason I left the business.


Well but back to the quilt. Somehow I like the overall look of it, especially when I imagine the set it will be in. Imagine an old farmhouse with a lot of wood and robust walls... All a bit dusty and oldfashioned...

This Quilt is going to be huge. About 100"square. I am a bit scared of the quilting, but I hope it will work out. I have to finish it before I go to the Fat Quarterly Retreat in London. So 17 Days. That is doable. I hope.
What are you working on?
Do you do commission work?
And how do you handle it?





12 Kommentare:

  1. Gratulation zu diesem Deal und recht hast du! Die Leute geben eine heiden Geld aus für Blödsinn (im Filmbusiness wie überall anders auch) und wen man dann echte und qualtitativ hochwertige Handarbeit vrkaufen will, sind die Taschen zugenäht.... Was ein toller Quilt - der wird perfekt in die beschriebene Location passen! Freu mich für dich!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Wow that is exciting - are you hand piecing it before retreat? Glad to hear that you are getting a good price for it too. I do some commission work but no quilts yet, I'm not sure anyone would be willing to pay!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Oh no, it is not handpieced- I do it with the machine.

      Löschen
  3. How great! You will have to tell us which movie it is, once it's in the theatres!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you! It is going to be a movie about Bibi Blocksberg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibi_Blocksberg

      Löschen
  4. you can do it!!! that's amazing. and congratulations.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Klingt spannend :) Welche Näherin träumt nicht davon, einen ganzen Quilt beauftragt zu bekommen und dann auch noch anständig dafür bezahlt zu werden. Ich bekomme nur Aufträge zum Gardinenkürzen von meiner Mutter ;)

    LG
    Susanne

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. So cool, dass es geklappt. Dann schaffen wir beide unsere aktuellen Quilts bis London,ok?
    :)
    Wir alle in London, das wird so cool!

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. wow. this is an amazing project to tackle. Good luck with the quilting and don't forget to tell us what movie it's going to appear in! I love spotting quilts in movies..

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you! It is going to be a movie about Bibi Blocksberg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibi_Blocksberg

      Löschen
  8. Fantastic! I'm sure it helps to know the insides and outs when going into a deal like that. Love the quilt!

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Das freut mich so für Dich! Dein Quilt wird "berühmt"!
    Und dass die Dich anständig bezahlen, richtig so *Daumen hoch*!

    Wenn Du iiiirgendwann mal zeigen könntest, wie Du die Teile mit der Maschine zusammennähst, würde mich das auch freuen :)

    AntwortenLöschen